Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Episode 7 – Lady Laker


We start the day with some Hugh Jackman viewing as he makes his mark at Mann’s Chinese Theatre. He is introduced by Jay Leno, this time we have clearer photos to prove it. Hugh recognises his fellow Aussies in the audience and allows us to make some noise.


We follow up with lunch at Urth Café for yummy organic goodness! To taunt my inner hippy we get a parking fine when we are literally 1 minute over our allocated time – who has that many quarters at hand anyway!

The highlight of course is attending our first Lakers Game. Game Time is the only time that Dave’s Lakers singlet is permissible in public! So it ventures out with us, it is excited but also on its best behaviour.


I have formerly been known to express a desire to adjust the court or field size of many sports to appease my attention span. So it goes like this, Soccer/Football (for the English) needs to decrease the field size to encourage the scoring of more goals and hence add interest to the sport. Basketball needs bigger Courts to produce less hoops/baskets/goals (this point system is still a mystery to me) and add to the suspense. NB. You do not need to know anything about the rules of a game to establish the aforementioned opinions.


It is here at a Lakers game, in between celebrating Jack Nicholson’s birthday and wondering what Kobe Bryant and Dustin Hoffman are discussing on the bench, that I am given a crash course on the rules of Basketball. Upon reception of such rules I am inclined to retract my previous opinions on Court size, but this does not necessarily make me wrong!


Any doubt about my ability to dictate which rules the sports world should adhere to is jettisoned to the sideline as I try to line up the perfect photo of JT and Jessica Biel. A friend commented to me that it is so nice having proper celebrities in LA rather than Nikki Webster and Shane Warne. I have to admit it is true.


Result – Lakers win and we walk home covered in streamers, using them for impromptu ribbon dancing. Did I mention that I love LA...S

1 comment:

  1. If the court was any bigger, Dustin, Justin and Jack would all be further away - would you really want that??
    At least they've adjusted the rules somewhat since the early days
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ball_game
    Less blood on the floor these days...

    ReplyDelete