Monday, June 1, 2009

LA Living



Like so many ‘Ossies’ before me I have made the pilgrimage to LA.


That is not a complete statement in itself, because this mystical land, so far removed from reality and normalcy, would make even the Wizard of Oz writhe with curiosity and wonder.


This is not my first time here, but as a million ex patriots will attest, it is a hard, long and expensive trail. Wait a moment though, I am not referring to the Entertainment business, but rather the seemingly implausible, bureaucratic double sided fly paper tape involved in applying for, paying for (by the end of the process you are ready to pay with your first unborn child), receiving and validating a Visa to work in the US.


Step 1 complete, Social Security Card in the post and registered at LA Casting - I am practically a bona fide citizen in a city where there are more pet hotels than human hotels, more fast food outlets per capita than per capita and rhinoplasty is like JT on your ipod – everyone has it.


Despite all of this materialism and excess, or perhaps in the depths of my distant, inaccessible psyche because of it, there is no escaping the fact that I am here - caught up in the buzz. I am yet another one of a plethora of entomological species trying to get as close to the light as possible.

Welcome to the Sam Show...

No comments:

Post a Comment